Evaluation and risk assessment of recurrence probabilities for families with a previously diagnosed genetic disorder. Counseling is offered following the accurate diagnosis of the exact nature of the genetic disorder and is based on current knowledge regarding the mode of inheritance. Information provided includes the actual recurrence risk as well as prevention strategies and reproductive options.
Recommended in cases of (for example):
- A previous fetus or child is suspected to be affected or was definitely diagnosed with a genetic disorder
- A parent is known to be affected
- A parent is known to be a carrier of a genetic disease
- There is a family history of a genetic disorder
- Advanced maternal age
- There is a family history of infertility